NC Workers' Compensation Rates to Fall

Document created by 1002043 on Jan 14, 2015Last modified by 1002028 on Jan 30, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Workers’ compensation rates paid by the majority of North Carolina employers will decrease on an average of 3.4 percent in 2015.  The NC Rate Bureau requested the rate adjustment and it was approved by North Carolina’s Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin.  The change will take effect in April. It is estimated that the 3.4 percent average decrease will be experienced by approximately 95 percent of employers according to an Insurance Department spokesperson. Rates will vary significantly based on an employers’ claims experience and the types of workers employed.  The other 5 percent of employers with poor experience rates having difficulties in obtaining required workers’ compensation insurance coverage are assigned to a pool of insurers. The rates for those companies are decreasing an average of 4.5 percent as requested by the Rate Bureau.

 

The Employers Coalition of North Carolina (ECNC) played an active role in crafting the major workers’ compensation reform passed during the 2011 session of the North Carolina General Assembly.  The significant changes in the law possibly affecting these rate decreases are as follows:

 

  • “Suitable employment” before maximum medical improvement defined and greater emphasis placed on vocational rehabilitation to encourage return-to-work
  • Temporary Total Disability (TTD) benefits were capped at 500 weeks (previously no cap)

 

For more information about North Carolina workers’ compensation and changes resulting from legislation passed in 2011, go to The specified item was not found.

Attachments

    Outcomes