The overall experience a candidate encounters during the interview process is very important to securing the candidate's continued interest in your organization. As competition for top talent continues to grow, and candidate expectations of potential employers expand, it is vital to make the best first impression possible.
According to a new CareerBuilder study, candidates who are turned off by a bad interview experience could go so far as to stop purchasing products or services provided by your company and may tell their family and friends to do the same. According to the study of 5,000 workers and 2,000 hiring managers, candidate expectations are on the rise.
Here are a few specifics from the study:
The Bottom Line - A negative hiring experience can actually affect your bottom line. Although eighty-two percent (82%) of employers felt there would be no negative impact to their bottom line as a result of a bad hiring experience, 58% of candidates indicated they would be less likely to buy from a company after a bad hiring experience. Sixty-nine percent (69%) of candidates said they would be more likely to buy from a company after a positive interview in which they were treated with respect.
Networking - According to the study, the average candidate researches an organization using as many as eighteen (18) resources during their job search. Job boards, social networking sites, and online referrals are just a few of those resources. Fifty-eight percent (58%) of employers fail to track how candidates learn about a position or how they researched the organization. As a result, these employers miss a real opportunity to connect with candidates who are actively searching for jobs.
The "Black Hole" - The absolute worst thing an employer can do after interviewing an application is failure to follow up. Candidates would prefer bad news over none at all. Unfortunately, 52% of employers say they respond to less than half of their applicants, while 84% of today's candidates expect a personal email response from their application, even if the answer is negative. Do not let your candidate applications fall into the "Black Hole."
Communication - Today's technology makes it all too simple to send out a quick note via email to an applicant who has been through the interview process. According to the study 41% of job applicants expect to be notified after the interview process if they were not chosen for the job opening. Seventy-three (73%) said they were never notified of anything post-interview.
KISS - We have all heard of the KISS method. Keeping it simple is still the best way to keep candidates engaged in the hiring process. A complicated application process can cause a candidate to lose interest and move on to another company they may be interested in. Forty percent (40%) of applicants complain the hiring process has become to difficult and 57% complain the process is too automated and lacks a personal touch.
Make Me An Offer - Making a good first impression during the hiring process can produce other benefits as well for the organization. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of candidates surveyed said they would accept an offer 5% lower than their expectations if the interview process went well and left them with a good impression of the company. Eighty-three percent (83%) said they would accept 5% less if the company had a great reputation as an employer.
Companies that have a strong reputation for an excellent hiring process and making a great first impression have a definite advantage. Fifty-two percent (52%) of employers surveyed admit they do not have such a reputation, giving the other 48% the edge in acquiring top talent.
Should you need support developing or improving upon your existing talent acquisition process, please call our Advice & Resolution team today !
Recent News Articles